Clearfield® sunflowers offers you the first non-GMO and herbicide-tolerant sunflower production system in Canada. Now you can increase your profit potential through exceptional seed genetics and superior weed control.
Uncompromising seed genetics
Clearfield® sunflowers offer the same great agronomics of conventional oilseed and confectionary sunflower varieties with the added benefits and flexibility of herbicide tolerance.
Six Clearfield sunflower varieties are now available. Each includes leading agronomic traits and yield characteristics that include tolerance to Clearfield herbicides.
Clearfield sunflowers are recognized worldwide as non-GMO.
- 8N270CLDM Learn More ( PDF, 93.45 KB)
LegendC - Control S - Suppression * - multiple flushing weeds
Weed control and suppression when SOLO® is applied at the 40 acre rate
|Green foxtail (wild millet)||C|
|Volunteer canary seed||C|
|Volunteer durum wheat||C|
|Volunteer spring wheat*||C|
|Volunteer tame oats||C|
|Kochia** (up to 4 whorls)||S|
* Non-Clearfield wheat / non-Clearfield canola only
** Does not include Group-2 resistant Kochia
2015 new evergreen Clearfield Commitment for sunflowersAll growers who grow Clearfield® sunflowers are required to sign a Clearfield Commitment Form for sunflowers. The Clearfield Commitment is the cornerstone of our dedication to sound stewardship. Beginning in the 2015 growing season, The Clearfield Commitment has now changed from a yearly Commitment to an evergreen Commitment. This means that growers who sign a Commitment in 2015 will not be required to sign again in the future. Similar to previous years, growers must sign and have the Commitments submitted by July 9, 2015. The Clearfield Commitment serves as a license for the use of Clearfield technology. This helps BASF protect the integrity of The Clearfield Production System so that it will be available for growers to use for years to come, and also support the development of future Clearfield sunflower varieties. The agreement ensures your Clearfield seed will fully express its herbicide agronomic traits that allow for crop safety and yield potential By signing the Clearfield Commitment Form for sunflowers, you not only gain access to valuable Clearfield technology, but you also may qualify for AgSolutions® Rewards.
Key terms of the agreementThe grower agrees to:
- Use Clearfield certified sunflower seed each year to plant a single commercial crop
- Pay the $7/acre Clearfield Commitment Fee
- Not supply Clearfield sunflower seed to other growers or users for production in future years
- Dispose of and/or sell as commercial oilseeds, any seed covered under the agreement and not use it for planting a subsequent crop
- Assurance of the Clearfield trait, germination, vigor, and purity of the seeds
- More marketing opportunities because Clearfield sunflower is internationally recognized as non-GMO
- Accelerated trait-based innovation by BASF will provide access to new varieties
- Special grower offers, including AgSolutions Rewards
The Clearfield Commitment Form for sunflowersYou have four options for completing and submitting the form:
- Electronically sign your Clearfield Commitment form on the BASF Secure Grower Website by clicking on “Create and Search Commitments.”
- Sign the Commitment form at the retail location you purchased your Clearfield sunflower from.
- Complete the Clearfield Commitment Form with your BASF Sales Representative
- Call in to AgSolutions Customer Care at 1-877-371-BASF (2273).
The Clearfield Commitment FeeAn annual commitment fee is charged on all Clearfield sunflower acres. The purpose of this fee is:
- To support BASF investment in trait-based technology, research and development of high-value, made-for-Canada innovations
- Helps accelerate these innovations and provide access to new varieties for western Canadian growers
- Sales period for Clearfield sunflowers and registered chemistry - October 1, 2014 - September 30, 2015
- Clearfield Commitment Form regular submission - July 9, 2015
RewardsSigning the Clearfield Commitment helps ensure the integrity and sustainability of the Clearfield system. It also gives you access to the benefits of AgSolutions® Rewards savings. Earn AgSolutions Rewards with your purchase* of Clearfield sunflower seed with matching BASF crop protection products. >>Calculate your rewards *minimum of 160 acres purchase requirement per brand
Yes. The Clearfield® Commitment is an agreement between the grower and BASF that outlines both parties’ responsibilities and serves as an annual license to access the benefits of proprietary Clearfield technology. By signing the Commitment, a grower is eligible for BASF crop protection product discounts through the AgSolutions Rewards Program.
In addition to the cost of the seed, there is a Clearfield Commitment Fee associated with the purchase of Clearfield sunflower seed, equal to $7/acre. This fee supports continued investment, development and acceleration of BASF trait-based innovations (i.e. more Clearfield crops, hybrids, varieties and herbicides), ultimately ensuring the delivery of more innovative products and opportunities for growers.
No. In accordance with the Clearfield Commitment for Clearfield sunflowers, growers must not re-grow themselves, or supply Clearfield sunflower seed to other growers or users for production in future years. Certified Clearfield sunflower seed must be purchased for each year of production from a Clearfield retailer, and a Clearfield Commitment form must be signed for the seed purchased.
No. All Clearfield crops, including Clearfield sunflowers, are developed using the same traditional plant-breeding methods that have been used to develop commercial crop varieties for decades. As a result, Clearfield crops are internationally recognized as non-genetically engineered, since they contain no introduced genetic material, thus eliminating any marketing barriers.
Clearfield sunflowers have herbicide tolerance to SOLO® herbicide.
As part of the BASF commitment to the development of new innovations, such as new variety and herbicide options, Clearfield sunflower growers can anticipate new Clearfield sunflower herbicide options over the next few years as the system continues to develop.
The following crops can be grown the year after using SOLO herbicide:
- Canary seed
- Durum wheat
- Spring barley
- Field peas
- Spring wheat
- Winter wheat
- Tame oats
- Clearfield canola
- Clearfield lentils
Where to BuySearch for a Clearfield sunflowers retailer near you.
- More Product Information
AgSolutions® by BASF
Our team of experts provides agronomic information and solutions based on your individual needs and operation.
Call 1-877-371-BASF (2273)